Keeping up with the Stone's

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Going GREEN

I have been trying to cut corners to save a little MONEY lately. I love having new ideas of ways in which I can save some GREEN!! That said I would like you to all check out my friends blog http://www.cuttingcostnotquality.blogspot.com/ I have been doing many of the things she recommends for well over a year now and have saved A LOT of GREEN!!

Our electric bill this past month was only $95. How you may ask?

Well:

1. We hang our clothes out to dry. Yes it does take a litlle longer, but it gets us outside more!

2. We cool our house with the Spring air! Open your window and turn on the fans! Also we heat our house with a wood burning stove in the winter. The wood is cut off our property! We have not made any final plans for summer yet, but I will let ya know when we do!

3. I turn ALL the lights off during the day. I have lots of window and it brings in lots of sunshine!

4. I use my gray water to water my flower gardens. We even have plans to recycle the rain water from the gutters for the gardens.

5. I recycle everything I can! Some things can even make you some money! Cans, Metals, batteries and ect...

There are some things I have not started yet, like a compost bin! I am looking into different options for this. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

One new thing I am trying is a thing called Free cycling. Have you ever heard of that??? Well I am sure you can check out your yahoo groups for a local group. So far it seems a great way to rid yourself of junk and maybe even get something you need in return!! Plus it keeps lots of good stuff from going into the trash.

Now that many of you are thinking "Who is this person?" Well I just like to save a BUCK or 2 when I can, and going GREEN in the process does not hurt anything either!

Something else I have learned stores like Brookshires give you a discount for bringing your our bags in!! Also IKEA charges for their plastic bags. I am making cloth napkins for us to use. My children are very messy and we go through about 2 rolls of paper towels a week. By making my own I can save MONEY and the waste we produce at the same time!

1 Comments:

  • At April 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Aubs said...

    Once you figure out that compost thing then let me know. I don't want to search online for all that. I want someone to guide me through it.
    Good job with being GREEN!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home